Saturday, November 6, 2010

Former executive lives in van

On Dec. 13 of 1970 I was trapping a frozen lake for beaver in the ubercold upper penninsula of Michigan. My dad was with me, it was 15 degrees below zero, the wind was blowing and the snow was already 4 feet deep. Dad fell through the ice.


After he stripped down naked, changed clothes and was warmed by the fire I had started, I asked him how cold he got. What he described was not at all as bad as it was last night sleeping in my Chevy cargo van in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

How I got here is a long story which will eventually unfold. For now, suffice it to say that I always just enjoyed life, took what came and never really planned too much. The last thing I think I really planned was finishing college. Hell I didn't even really plan it when I sailed my 7' open dingy 40 miles up Green Bay, through the night, in 4' seas. In fact, once I arrived in Sturgeon Bay, WI, I had no way of getting me or PUCK (my little vessel) back to Green Bay.




I am still married even though my wife and I have agreed to divorce. She lives is PA, has a great job and our son is on scholorship for hockey and academics at a D1 college.

They are both better at planning than I am. I live in a cargo van that I have kitted out with a propane heater, gas camp stove and a cup to pee in for those times when you just can't sleep without going.

There was a time when I wore expensive suits everyday. A time when I had secretaries, a nice office, a VP title at a $500 million company, and made enough money that I actually lived in a house and drove a sports car that I didn't live in.

That is all for now. Need to find a shower.

2 comments:

  1. Scott,we love you.
    sri,missed ur open'g day. this follows a post that never left cyber world.
    i predict u will get numerous shower offers.
    seems the thread of our family's life centers around a 3 ltr word... "ice".
    trapping,yard rinks,all skaters(2 generations)college finance,Dy'cntr. ice pay ck.,elizabeth's
    diabetes exercise regime,ol' goshohoppen creek and mary and i doing 3 miles of swamp creek and
    i,mary,and anthea fall-in of same creek,travel to canada to live the hockey dream and more "ice" related things in our future !
    love,
    yom (your old man)

    ReplyDelete